After what has seemed like an extra long winter, Memorial Day weekend is finally here. First and foremost, Memorial Day is all about gratefully remembering those who have given their lives in service to our nation. It is also a time for gathering with family and friends to enjoy fun and relaxation. For many, the long weekend provides the opportunity to take a road trip.
If you are planning to travel this weekend, take some time to make sure your vehicle is ready for the road. Check your tires, and confirm that they are in good condition and properly inflated. Not only will you be safer on the road, you will also get better gas mileage. Here are a few additional tips:
- Test your battery
- Check your lights to make sure all are working
- Make sure wiper blades are in good shape
- Check fluid levels
- Pack roadside emergency items like jumper cables and travel compressor
Here are a few additional suggestions to consider for a smoother trip:
- Download an app like GasBuddy to make sure you find the best gas prices along the way
- Check out the Waze app for real-time traffic info
- Pack snacks and drinks for the car to save time and money
- Make sure your maps are up-to-date – whether paper or GPS
- Plan your route and stops before you leave
- Bring along a cell phone charger with a car adaptor
- Bring an umbrella – no matter what the forecast says
Whatever your plans are, have a fun and safe Memorial Day Weekend!